Communicating with stakeholders
With over a quarter of UK businesses saying that they have already felt the impact of climate change and a significant increase in environmental regulation, emissions reduction is one of the top strategic issues facing organisations today.
Increasingly organisations need to demonstrate their environmental credentials to their customers:
- Organisations face supply-chain pressure from their business or public sector customers to measure and manage their carbon footprint
- Consumers are demanding better carbon performance from business.
Research conducted with business leaders and consumers has shown that, whilst existing certification schemes and standards are valuable, none of them delivers precisely what is needed:
- A focus on actual results, not good intentions
- A standard that is about ongoing commitment, not judgement at a single point in time
- A standard that is independent, credible and trusted because of the authority of the body running it
- Approaches that build on all the other work that has to be done to comply with regulation
The Carbon Trust Standard has been designed specifically to meet these requirements.
It won’t just be customers who are interested in the fact that your organisation holds the Standard. Your investors, current staff and prospective employees will want to learn about what is involved too. Read more about using the logo.
For investors it is about knowing that they are investing in an organisation that has its costs under control, is planning sensibly for the future and is in a position to deliver sustainable competitive advantage because of its strategic approach to climate change.
For your existing employees it recognises the good work that is being done by your team, particularly those directly involved in reducing your carbon footprint, and it makes them feel good about working for an organisation that cares enough to take action and make a real difference.
When you are recruiting for new staff, holding the Standard will give them one more reason to join you as they will see you as a forward thinking and responsible employer. If you treat the environment well, you will treat your staff well too.
Find out more about online assessment for SMEs